Monday, January 18, 2016

Know Jesus, Know Peace. No Jesus, No Peace


So unless you have been living under a rock lately, you are aware that the Power Ball jackpot reached over a BILLION (yes with a B) dollars recently.  Everyone on TV and online was talking about buying tickets and getting into pools and of course what they would do with the money if they won.  I am not exempt in that dream however I knew 100% I wouldn’t win because I don’t play the lottery.  I am not saying I never have but I just choose not to as part of my beliefs.  I won’t go into detail about how I came to that conclusion it’s just what it is. 

However, in my daydream, I had privately decided that I would keep a large portion of the money for myself but would give a very large portion to friends, loved ones and to charities that I support.  I am sure this is similar to what many others would do.  I imagined the looks on the recipient’s faces as I gave them the news that their house was now paid off, or their kids had a college fund or their rescue was now fully funded, etc. 

I had such a sense of warmth thinking about how I would never again have to worry about having enough money or losing my home or car, etc. and how my friends would be able to have anything they wanted and never have to wonder “what if?”  While my tastes are not necessarily for glamorous or expensive items, it would be the peace of knowing that I didn’t have to “worry” anymore.  Now, we all know this is a joke.  There are many wealthy people who have worries.  So was it really the money I was hoping for or the peace that I imaged would come with it?

Isn’t peace something we all chase?  Those who use drugs, alcohol, food or other substances or activities to remove the stress of their lives?  Could a large lottery win really bring us the peace we seek?  Or…would more money and more stuff give us more stress to deal with? 


The next time you read through Facebook or anything really online, look at the headlines and see how many have to do with finding peace or stopping stress, etc.  It’s amazing!  Now think about when in your life you are or have been peaceful.  Yes, there have been times when it has happened after my bills were paid up for the month but life is full of unexpected interruptions.  No matter how organized we are (and I am NOT) we can never be prepared for everything that may come up in our lives.  Inevitably loved ones will get sick or cars will break. 

 
Peace is a moving target unless you get real peace.  This is not the peace that we perceive money can bring.  It’s only through God that you get a peace that cannot be shaken.  I wish I could say that I have achieved this peace but I have not.  Well that is not true.  I have experienced times of this peace but have lost it.  I am studying how to deepen my faith in order to achieve and keep the peace of God.   I find that as soon as I wrap myself too deeply into myself that is when I lose my peace.  The more I focus on helping others and meeting their needs the more peaceful I become.  However that being said, I have also reached the point where I gave more of myself than I have and then I have become stressed and resentful.  Finding that balance and being aware of your own limits is the important part.  Here are a few bible verses that remind me to trust God and stay close to Him and therefore remain more peaceful. 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment