Friday, January 8, 2016

Maybe It's all the Oxygen from the Trees but My Mind is Clearing....


Hello all!  It’s been 8 days in the forest and I have to say, it’s been WONDERFUL!  When we first got here it was packed and all these families and party-heartys were being a bit obnoxious.  Once the weekend was over, however it thinned out immensely.  We moved to a bigger spot and have been taking lots of walks and if it wasn’t for the lack of electricity, I think I could live here.  Ok, I know I cannot live here because they kick you out of the forest after 30 days.  You can come back after 14 days out and we have met a few people who are literally living here.  I believe they go down to Oscala forest (I made a mistake last time and posted I was in Oscala when we are really in Osceola forest) for the 14 days and then back here, etc.  We are in an area where you have a designated site.  We however, do not have electric, water or sewer hook up.  There are a few full sites here but they stay full.  The full sites are still under $20 a night which is really cheap.  They also offer just water sites but that seems crazy to me to pay an extra $4 per night just to have water.  I mean we have to move the RV every 4 or so days to dump at the dump station so why not just fill up your water tanks there when you do this and save the money?  It has been chilly (I cannot say cold because I know my friends in Ohio have it much worse) but when we you go from high 70s and low 80s to highs in the 40s and 50s in a matter of a day or so, it seems cold.  We have had a few cold nights.  Yes, cold.  Like 30s.  In an RV with no insulation, that can be cold.  Luckily we have a propane furnace and an electric blanket.  We use an external generator and also have a large battery bank and solar panels so my husband makes sure to keep us energized.  It sometimes takes some finagling on his part but he is a great sport. 

I was thinking about my last post and how I probably came off really down on myself.  That wasn’t the intent.  (HA! "intent" and talking about camping…) anyhoo…I have always been critical of myself as are many and just want to be continually improving. 
I have come up with some insight.  I wish they were answers but for now I will take insight. 

1.  I have realized that the more I have, the more I want and the more I get the more unsatisfied and less appreciative I become.  For instance, if you work for a cable company like my husband and I did, we had free cable and that included pay per view and all the premium channels, (Showtime, HBO, etc.) I would literally have HUNDREDS of channels to choose from and would complain THERE IS NOTHING OOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN!  Now we MAYbe get like 3 channels and I get SO excited when they come in clear and don’t skip!  I have found myself watching a lot of PBS type shows and old classic TV. 
2. I have realized that for me to feel fulfilled and have some self.....I dunno worth, I have to be creative.  I HAVE to be doing some type of art or writing or singing or cooking, etc.  SOMETHING!  Even though I am not always thrilled with the outcome, there is something I find SOOOOO therapeutic about creating something that didn’t exist before. 

3.  I want to earn what I have and if I don't, I don't feel deserving of what I get and therefore do not enjoy it.  For example, when I have a day where I am very productive, it doesn’t matter how or whatever, but at the end of the day I go WOW, I got something done!  I can enjoy my rest time.  Otherwise I feel edgy and grumpy and frustrated and worthless.  While a day of jammies and movies and eating in bed is nice, I can only enjoy it if it comes after days of being busy and working at or towards something.  Let’s look at it from a food perspective even.  If you give me a spoon, and a carton of ice cream, I will eat myself sick.  Literally SICK!  By the 2nd or 3rd scoop I won’t even be tasting it OR really enjoying it…BUT it’s there and I know I love ice cream and it needs to be in my belly NOW.  Now give me a scoop of that ice cream and don’t give me access (and you better be good because I am smart and STEALTHY) and then let me have another scoop the next day, etc. and I will so love that ice cream.  I will look forward to it each day and savor each bite.  Wanting and not having or wanting and waiting doesn’t kill me.  In fact, it just sweetens the reward. 

4.  I forget how blessed I am.  OFTEN!  We were talking with a guy that was staying here.  He was one of those that were living here and Adam was talking to him in the road and he was telling  Adam how his 30 days was almost up and he had to move out of the forest before he got fined.  This was when it first started getting colder.    I asked Adam if he knew where that guy was staying and he said in the site next to us.  The guy was literally living in his van.  Now it was a large cargo van like ours but even if he had a mattress to sleep on, he probably didn’t have a frig and stove or perhaps even a heater.  Later we saw a family with a child and they were in a TENT!  A TENT!  Did I mention earlier it has been in the low 30s at night!???  Ok, let’s say they did have a heater in their TENT during the day they had to either be all crammed in the tent together with the heater or walking around in the cool weather or just sitting outside in a chair?   Meanwhile we sit here with a 3 burner stove, an oven, a microwave, small crock pot, George Foreman for heaven’s sake and a pretty large refrigerator.  We have a toilet, sink, shower, and a foam mattress!  Our dogs sleep on a couch and our CATS have nice foam beds!  How can I ever gripe about what I don’t have when SO MANY have SO MUCH less?!  I need to shut up and take a look around once in a while and get over it!

5.  We are all broken.  It’s what we do with our brokenness that makes us who we are. 

Therefore, if I HAD to make some resolutions, this is what they would be:

A.  Live simply and enjoy what you have.  There are many with WAY less.  If you start feeling you don’t have enough, give them some of your stuff.  Then see how you feel.

B.  Earn your keep and you will enjoy the payoff much more.

C.  It’s ok to wait.  Stop eating ALL the ice cream in one sitting.  You really only enjoy the first little bit.  Enjoy it a little bit at a time for longer.

D.  Realize we are all struggling and no one has it all figured out.  Share what you have learned with others and listen when they share with you their lessons.  Together we are better than all fumbling alone J

 Our doggies enjoying the sunrise....




 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment