Monday, February 1, 2016

Hanging with Manatee


As exciting as this adventure has been, today was one of those few great days in my life.  I don’t know how of these days most people have in their lifetime but today was one of mine.  We had briefly visited Manatee Springs State Park a few weeks ago.  We were able to walk around the park, see the springs and then walked out to the end of the boardwalk where there were a few manatees swimming right below the shore.  There were a few families in canoes and kayaks floating around the animals but we remained on the boardwalk.  After my first sighting which was about 1-2 football fields away, my camera abruptly died and because it was a chilly day, we didn’t stay long.  We vowed to go back when the weather was warmer.

Today was that day.  It got up to 80 and it was mostly sunny.  This morning we decided to look up prices to rent canoes and to see if we could see any wildlife while on our ride.   While I was dying to take this adventure, I was also reluctant as my only other experience with someone on a canoe, many years ago, was NOT pleasant.  It included us tipping over and all of our lunch and gear becoming wet, me being screamed at and berated and what seemed like hours of just horribleness.    I fully explained what had happened and how it made me feel to Adam before we started out.  I needed him to be warned that this experience was very exciting but very scary to me and that there could be no horsing around in the boat and that I would probably make mistakes being that I am so inexperienced with the activity.   He assured me he would be careful and would not yell at me if I did something that resulted in a less than perfect canoe trip.

We drove to the park where you pay a $6.00 fee per car to enter.  During our drive and walk back to the rental area, I was giddy but my stomach was also in knots.  The prices were very reasonable at $20.00 for a two hour rental including boat, paddles and life jackets.  I also explained the to the rental guy that I was nervous and he gave us one of his larger canoes so I would feel more stable.  It was 14 feet and made of plastic.  The worker helped me into the boat and then Adam jumped in the back.  I was sitting in the middle seat (it was a 3 seater) as I wanted the most stable place to be. 

During our first visit, the manatee were swimming at the end of where the springs meet the Suwanee River.  Apparently the West Indian manatee come to the springs during the winter to avoid the cold water.  I also learned that they can live in both salty and fresh water and that they have 1 calf after a 12 month gestation period and their calf stays with them from 12-18 months after. 
 

As we started our paddle, I was surprised at the ease of each stroke.  Somehow I remember it was much harder the first time.   There was no current in the spring’s area and once we reached the end we went against the flow for about ½ mile.  At that point we decided to cross and go to the other side which was now with the current.  By this time we had gotten into a groove and were more comfortable with the activity.  We, along with the current, ended up going back the ½ mile plus about another ½ mile past where we had started.  We decided to turn back to return and of course by this time, we were going against the current back and our two hours was getting close so I was started to get stiff and sore in my shoulders.  Adam said he was fine but he has also been doing a lot of raking lately and let’s face it, he is younger and healthier than me. 

The weather was incredible and the water was still and quiet.  We had spotted many types of birds, some turtles, a snake and some large fish but alas no manatee.  Another couple stated that they had spotted a large alligator further down the direction we originally paddled and I secretly was happy that we didn’t go that far.   We were getting really good at steering by the time we got back and were able to easily maneuver ourselves between the sections of the dock above and into the mouth of the springs. 
 

Then I spotted them!

There were two or three large beige blobs in the water.  From our earlier, much further away viewpoint, I knew what the manatee looked like.  We started paddling slowly towards them and I could NOT believe how large they were.  I knew they were large but until you are directly next to one and have them float under your canoe; you cannot imagine JUST how LARGE they are!  They were beautiful and peaceful and wonderful and I so wanted to touch one of them.  They can stay underwater for periods up to 20 minutes and I did get to see one breach and take a breath.  Their faces reminded me of a seal and he/she quickly lifted their face up and took a deep breath before going back below again to feed. 
 
 

Nearby we saw 2 much smaller manatees eating further into the spring area.  Surprisingly, everyone in the area in boats was very calm and quiet and just floated around enjoying these magnificent creatures.  I tried to video and shoot pictures when we got close.  Between trying to control the boat and my excitement, the opportunities were fleeting but marvelous. 


 

While watching them in person and even after viewing the video and photos, I was teary eyed.  I have always loved animals and watching something so huge and wonderful at such a close range was truly amazing. 

I don’t know what heaven holds but I pray that the river of the water of life as mentioned in the bible is a real river and I hope it contains manatee.
 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment