Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Welcome...


This past Sunday I headed to a small church here where we have been staying.  Of the 4 Sundays we have been here, this would make my 3rd Sunday I have attended this particular church.  The 1st Sunday the service consisted of a concert from an outside group they brought in.  There were about 70 people in attendance.  I sat in the back row and had very little contact with anyone except for a hello or good morning as I entered the building. 

The 2nd week I sat closer towards the front and right behind me was the designated “Amen” person.  You know how every church has that person or persons that cheer on the pastor?  Yup, she was right behind me.  They were initiating (I don’t know the right term) new members and so part of the service was the new members standing before the congregation pledging their..…?...membership.  There were about 40-50 people there and the entire congregation then made its way up through the receiving line of the 7 or so new members.  This resulted in a 7 handshakes and/or hugs from them as I walked by. 

Right as I turned to leave, a member of the praise team who had been sitting in front of me came up behind me and said hello and gave me her name.   She also gave me a compliment but that was the end of the exchange.  I thanked the pastor for a good sermon and went on my way.

As I was headed into the church this Sunday I was debating on what the subject of my next blog would be and I was thinking how I have  mostly attended churches where my family members attended and my subject was going to be how members of churches welcomed (or didn’t welcome) new guests. 

At this point, I would have thought after 2 visits, someone would have asked me my name or something about me.  The town and church is very small so it wasn’t like in Valdosta where I could blend in with the large crowd.

When I entered the sanctuary, I didn’t see the singer who had introduced herself so I again found a seat in the back corner of the church.  As the church members began entering, they greeted each other with hugs and handshakes, joking with each other.  I started feeling very alone and wondering if indeed, this WAS where I was supposed to be and I knew there were 2 other nearby churches of my denomination and started wondering which I should try next week. 

The service started with some singing and then during the time where they had welcomed their new members last time, this time they invited everyone to greet the people near them.  I quickly turned to the lady next to me and shook her hand and gave her a quick hug.  While I am pretty outgoing and friendly, I stayed pretty close to my seat as I greeted those who approached me with a good morning and good to see you.  A couple of the women reached out for a hug and I complied.  This seemed to open a flood gate of new greeters and hugs/handshakes although still no questions about who I was or how it came to be that I was there. 

After a few more songs and the offering, the preacher delivered the message.  The eye opening I received from that message I will save for another entry but it was good and it was "message received".  The pastor asked us all to join hands with the person(s) next to us and pray for them which I did.  I was in tears by the time we were finished.  Later after the service ended the lady who had been next to me grabbed me and gave me a huge hug.  She thanked me for praying for her.  I was overcome with tears and thanked her as well.  My challenge to all of you that regularly attend church would be to make sure that you not only greet any new visitors but take a moment and ask their name or learn something about them.  You don't have to get too into their business but if you see them singing along or taking notes or otherwise engaged, mention to them "oh I see you enjoyed the music, who is your favorite artist ", etc., so they feel they are someone who people might like to get to know or who may share interests.  

I have had many of my friends asking me if I have sang at my new church yet or if I will be.  I have also addressed that same question to God.  Again, He has given me the same answer as earlier in our trip.  This is my time to sit back and learn.  My grasshopper days.  My time to wax on and wax off.  Don’t worry though, I sang REALLY loudly from the back row !!

No comments:

Post a Comment