Part
2, The Adult years
After
much agonizing thought, I decided I needed to leave. I was sure he would find me and torment me so
I arranged with a friend to leave during a work day when he thought I was at
work. I packed everything we could fit
into my car and I moved out. Later he
did find me and it was not a pretty sight but at least I was gone.
Eventually
he moved out of the apartment we shared and I moved back in. Even though we were living apart, I just
couldn’t seem to file for divorce. I
felt like a failure. It felt like divorce
would only make it official. I was
unlovable. I had my chance to make a man
love me and he couldn’t and now I was to spend the rest of my life alone. I know it sounds so dramatic and theatrical
but those were my thoughts. My
beliefs. I struggled with a divorce and
what the bible stated were valid reasons to get one. Surely God didn’t want me to live with this
abuse. I was becoming more distant with
God and my church family. I was becoming
negative and withdrawn and turning into someone I didn’t like. I was struggling all day every day. Surely God had a better plan for me than
this.
I
remember sitting on my couch with a cup in my hand. It was a small apartment that took probably 5
steps to get to the sink and I remember just sitting there on the couch for the
longest time with that cup in my hand unable to get up and take it to the
sink. Not being functional was not an
option to me as I was living alone and alone responsible for my bills. I had been trying to cover my pain in by many
unmentionable means during this time and was just trying to find a way to get
through the day, the minute, and the second.
Finally I broke down and contacted my EAP through work and starting
working to find a permanent counselor to help me. It always amazed me the things I would hear
come out of my mouth. I swear I would
walk in there and just listen and my mouth would run on and I would learn how I
felt by just listening to myself talk.
The Dr. was never one to really give much input except for gently
nudging the conversation if I seemed stuck.
She urged me to identify my own problems and suggest my own
solutions. She would rarely intervene
and veto my thoughts but acted more like a lifeguard. Just sitting by and watching and listening;
ready to jump in if I got into trouble.
Along
with my counselor my physician put me on some anti-depressants and they seemed
to give me the motivation to continue walking.
One step at a time, one moment at time and slowly I was able to function
without the medicine and the visits to the therapist. The divorce was finalized and I was still
alive.
I
went years living my life with everyday struggles but managing. I then came across another time where I
couldn’t cope. This time it was easier
to identify what was coming and I reached out for help before I got to the
point I couldn’t move. One Christmas, I
lost my first pet. She was a 16 year old
cat who I loved dearly and had since she was a kitten. While she had been ill (and looking back, I probably should
have put her down before this) I had no idea she was dying and watching her
suffer was horrible. Less than a month
later I had to put down my 17 year old cat who I had since she was born. She was without any symptoms until shortly
after the 1st cat died. She
was in pain and the Dr. said she would never get better so I made the decision
to end her suffering. Every day I feel guilty for waiting too long to
act with my first cat and guilty for maybe acting too soon the second
time.
The day I had to put the 2nd cat down, I
had taken the day off work. That
afternoon I got a call stating that my co-worker who I shared an office with
had died unexpectedly.
A
couple months later, I got a call that my sister died unexpectedly. It was a like a blow to the stomach. I became panicky. Still later that year I found out my former
best friend of many years died of cancer (I was not even aware she was ill) and
I also lost multiple other family members.
I
started refusing to answer my phone.
The
losses were coming way too quickly for me to process and again I found myself
reaching out for help. Again I sat and
listening to how the losses were affecting me while during the rest of my week,
I heard myself trying to make others laugh and trying to be helpful and
friendly. I frantically reached for
healthy alternatives to handling the stress.
Together with my counselor we identified options that were not self-destructive. Long baths, writing, walks, etc. Again I was prescribed something to help with
the depression/anxiety, whatever it was I was suffering.
For
over a year, I dreaded answering my phone and was sure that everyone around me
was going to die and leave me.
Eventually the deaths slowed. I
kept thinking maybe NOW I can go off the meds and stop therapy but, the
rollercoaster kept moving.
No comments:
Post a Comment