There is a
reason this is the last of these segments to write. #1, it’s still ongoing and #2 it’s not
easy. Getting started is definitely the
hardest part but you tend to gain steam as you go. That being said, it’s truly a mindset. I mean it’s SOOOO hard and then something
clicks in your brain. It’s like learning
to walk or using a muscle that never has been used before. I remember when I taught myself to raise one
eyebrow. I was in about 10th
grade and decided it would be cool if I could raise one and decided on my right
one. ???
So I would practice in the mirror and put my finger on the muscle above
my eyebrow, trying to teach it to go up and if it did, both went up so then I
held one down and so forth. Eventually,
I did teach myself and now it just jumps up at will but until then WOW, it was
nearly impossible.
I have always
been someone who donates a lot to the Salvation Army, Goodwill and to our local
Humane Society that has a retail store where you can also donate items and the
money earned goes towards the clinic to help animals. We were already working as fosters for them
so they got a large part of our household, pet items and clothing. At first, you begin by giving things you no longer need and don’t really want so that’s easy.
Then you start getting to things you don’t
need but DO want! Then it gets harder. Here are some tips I have compiled that are
helping me.Use the whole three bin (or area) system like on the TV shows. Keep, Donate/Sell and Trash. You will be surprised how much trash you have. The first time you go through an area (such as your clothing) you will find a LOT in the save pile and that is ok. Revisit that keep bin/area every couple of weeks and you will find it’s easier to continue the sort
Like
me, you probably have multiples of items that are in great shape but you really
don’t need one, but REALLY don’t
need two. For instance I have 2
really long, heavy wool coats. Now my
plan is to keep away from any really cold weather but I LOVE these coats. I looked forever to find them during my life
and that is why I have two of them. They
are basically blankets with buttons J
Besides, one has a hood which makes it TOTALLY different from the other,
even if they ARE both wool, black and floor length J
I thought about the poor people I see downtown with NO coat or with an
inadequate coat and asked myself, why do you need TWO when they have NONE! That helped in being able to put ONE in the
donate/sell pile. Mind you ONE. I still haven’t gotten to the point of losing
that other one…it’s a process, folks. I
also would play the game “if there was a fire and you could only save one which
one would you grab?” If I was still
undecided, I would pick one up and say OK THIS IS THE ONE I KEEP and then see
if I felt relieved or sad. Did I mention
one has a HOOD?!
Have
a garage sale. Mind you, you won’t make
it rich but depending on your area, the type of items you have and the pricing,
you CAN make some money. It takes a lot of work and time so honestly
if given the situation again, I would probably not do this unless I had a few
really nice items that would bring in more money and not selling my clothes for
$1.00 each again
When
it comes to high ticket items, like motorcycles, or appliances, etc., start by
posting on your Facebook page. I gave my
FB friends first nod at my items and gave them “friend prices” which they could
share with THEIR friends but THEIR friends had to contact me and refer back to my
friend. That way I also didn’t have to
deal with any scary strangers coming to my house and killing me like off
Craigslist, etc. Also, you are less
likely to get “looky-loos” as I call them that say they are interested and then
waste your time and gas meeting them and then they never get back to you, or
never show in the first place.
Surprisingly, we were able to sell MOST items this way. The best part about selling to friends is
that you get to see your stuff again when you visit. J Also Facebook has many “garage sale” groups in
many areas so I was also able to list things in those as well as using
Craiglist for some of the more specialized items. This extra money of course is what helps fund
your dream. However, no one cares how
much you paid or how much more you have invested in this item. It’s all about what they are willing to pay. In short, you will more than likely take a
loss
The
items I have struggled with the most are unfinished projects and momentos. Having to sell an unfinished project to me is
like failure. I never got to finishing
it, etc. There is this hope in an
unfinished project and in selling it you not only admit defeat but lose that
hope of what could have been. Get over
it and let someone else finish and enjoy it!
That is all I have to offer on that subject J
Because I never had kids, I have things that normally you would pass to
your kids, dolls, etc. Also because I
have lost so many people in my life, I have a ton of cards, things they bought
or made me, etc. I have found it a
LITTLE easier by taking a photo of it and keeping THAT instead of the item. If their item has value to others, I try to
donate it so someone else can enjoy
Allow
yourself to keep SOME stuff that isn’t needed.
This may change for me in the future but for now I have allotted myself
a cabinet with a small footprint where I am placing ALL unneeded but wanted
items. Mostly it’s filled with cards,
tax returns (ok those might be needed), cards and letters, etc. I do have a few “item”, items but you get the
gist. If it doesn’t fit in there, it
doesn’t stay. That way I don’t feel SO
cheated and empty but it’s also controlled. It lets me control whether I want
to keep 1 large item or many smaller items and somehow that makes it easier for
me
If
you know the setting, space and area of where you are moving to (be it an RV,
TH whatever) it’s easier because you know how much space you have to work
with. I am a big fan of baskets and
other items to organize things. So there
were things I had to purchase to get organized even when just going from 1500 –
800 sq. ft. That is ok! Just don’t get crazy and bring more unneeded
things into the house. In fact, if
something catches my eye now, I play a game with myself that I can only bring
it into the house if I get rid of three other things. I purchased a GREAT white, no iron blouse
that can be dressed up or down and was able to rid myself of 2 other white
shirts that didn’t fit as nicely that required ironing AND another white long
sleeved t-shirt to bring that baby home.
AND I paid less than $5.00 as I got it at the 2nd hand
store! No matter what the item is now,
if it’s not NEEDED then I only can bright it in if I rid myself of 3x as many
items. There is nothing magic in the
number 3 but it works for me J
After
a while I started feeling like I had learned a secret. I remember checking out at the grocery and
looking over at the magazines and items near the register area. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I
struggle with patience and just being still so waiting in lines for me is
killer. Normally I play on my phone or
find something to look at or read to keep my sanity. I couldn’t believe how many ads for THINGS
and having the right THINGS and buying the best JEANS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE and
smiling kids with bright shiny new THINGS I saw. I chuckled to myself. Not in a “holier than thou” type of way but
in a “wow, we are SO programmed” type of way.
It’s no wonder we all struggle with having too much. It’s too easy to do and it’s so encouraged
and even dictated by our culture. There
is nothing wrong with having stuff and I don’t claim to be “green” or have a
“tiny footprint”, etc. and if you do that is great. I just know that for ME it’s very stressful
to have so much STUFF around taking up your time and energy and money; and for
ME it kept me away from the people and animals and nature that gives me so much
joy! It’s a process. I hope those around me seeing me go through
this are inspired to just even slim down their items a little. Just take one more minute, to consider
whether bringing that item into your house will increase your joy or just your
debt. For that, it’s worth sharing this
experience.


No comments:
Post a Comment