Wednesday, November 25, 2015

So God Made a Dog....


Until just recently we had 4 dogs and 2 cats which made feeding time and getting ready for work interesting to say the least.  My answer has always been to do thing methodically and with a set routine.  Get up time, feeding times, and bed times are pretty consistent in our house.  I find it helps the animals know what to expect.  For instance, I always feed them their food, in the same order; at the same time and in the same place.  Since 2 of the dogs are deaf this also minimizes my frustration while getting ready in the morning.  During the years we took in foster pets, or when we were pet sitting, it always took a few days for the newbies to get on board.  Also, whenever we have changed houses or were out in the RV, etc., this routine must change due to differences in space, etc.    It always takes a day or three to get them used to the new routine.

We have just had this happen again as we have taken up residence in the RV.  My lab is who is 11 years old is very smart.  He knows my routines and my gestures and is responsive to both facial as well as verbal cues since he is hearing.  However, he is VERY food driven.  He likes to get in my way and stick his head in the food container as I am trying to get the food from the container into the scoop and then into his bowl.  This is very frustrating for me as it usually ends up in me spilling food or his knocking the scoop out of my hand, etc. ultimately delaying him getting what he wants, which is his food in his bowl.  

The other day I was struggling with this and trying to hold back the other two dogs while I fed him and his actions were making the whole process longer and more difficult.  I yelled to him, “RUFUS STOP IT!  YOU ARE JUST MAKING IT TAKE LONGER TO GET YOUR FOOD!”  WHY COULDN’T HE JUST LET ME DO IT?!? I KNEW THE BETTER WAY AND THE FASTER WAY TO GET HIM WHAT HE WANTED!!!!

Then it hit me!  This is exactly what I do to God.  He has this great plan for my life and I muck it all up trying to “help”.  I stick my head in the bowl trying to see what He has in store for me and try to help things along and all it does is delay me getting what He has in store for me.  

I have always heard you don’t get the dog you want, you get the dog you need.  Rufus is me in dog form.  Friendly and loving but also stubborn and controlling when he wants something.  Thank you God for sending me Rufus to teach me more about myself J

No comments:

Post a Comment