So we are sitting in southern Georgia and
it’s been one week since leaving the driveway.
We left at about 7pm last Friday morning and after the tire leaking
issue, drove until we got to Kentucky.
We stayed at a Walmart parking lot.
Yes what you may have heard is true.
(For those who are very active in the RV lifestyle, please keep in mind
some of my readers have no experience.)
At most Walmart locations you can park and spend the night without any
cost and without any hassle. There are
apps and websites you can go to find out which ones allow this and some reviews
from those who have parked there.
We slept until morning and after rush hour,
continued on our way to TN. We arrived the
next afternoon about 23 minutes from my niece’s home at Henry Horton State
Park. It was fairly expensive at $31 per
night. We had a full hook up and while
we had water and electricity, we did not have working wifi or cable tv. Also we had to use a communal dump site. (Normally for that price all of that would be
available at your site.) We spent the
first night getting settled in and planned to spend 2 nights.
My niece and her 2 kids came over the next
day and I gave them some items I had brought with me as gifts. The best part was presenting Jessica with a
blanket that her late mother, my sister, had made me many years prior and a box
of pictures of her and her family I had been saving. Brooklyn, 4 and Bryant, almost 3 years old
kids joined us in the RV during this time and investigated the rig, pretending
they were driving and getting acquainted with our dogs. The cats had taken shelter out of sight.
We then took the dogs for a walk around the
campground and to an area that had a play structure. They played independently and intermittently
came back to the benches to pet and walk the dogs around the area.
Once lunchtime came, we piled into her SUV
(sans pets) and went to a neighboring town for lunch. Since she had 2 car seats in the backseat,
Adam got to plunk in between them. One
of my favorite parts of the day was listening to his conversation with them
while Jessica drove. Adam is not a “kid
person” so this was particularly amusing.
Brooklyn, immediately upon entry informed Adam that she had a tablet in
the backseat and while he could “look at it, he may not touch it”. J She busied herself
during the drive playing a game and explaining to Adam how each step
worked. Meanwhile Bryant, almost 3, kept
Adam busy asking for drinking straws that he would then promptly drop to the
floor and demand retrieval. Adam did not
understand that young kids find entertainment in this and was trying to reason
with him. Bryant also has the most
adorable southern accent which only made this more hilarious to listen to from
the front seat.
B: “Gimme that straaaaawwwwwlllll”.
A: “You
dropped it.”
B: “Pulllllllluuueeeezzze?”
A: “You
shouldn’t have dropped it.”
B: “I
need that staraaaaawwwllll.” Etc.
We mostly decided on breakfast and of
course Jessica struggled to get any food in her mouth while tending to the
kids. They were however, well behaved
and ate most of their lunch. We visited
again back at the park until the weather threatened rain.
The next day we were celebrating Bryant’s
birthday at Jessica’s home. The plan was
to continue heading south after the party so we were packing up before heading
out. I decided to trim Howie’s nails and
while doing so, cut them too close. If
you have ever done this you understand the copious amount of blood this brings! So now, here is Howie, outside white paws
drenched red in blood. It was chilly
that morning and I couldn’t let him inside until the bleeding had ceased. He then decided I was trying to kill him so
whenever I got near him he would start shaking.
We were late for the party and 20 minutes away and my dog wouldn’t stop
bleeding! Finally, I grabbed an old pair
of socks and hair tied them to his foot to dry to contain the blood enough to
bring him inside and start the trip.
Because we are pulling a large van and also because it’s REALLY HILLY
around here, the decision had been made for us to unhook and for me to drive
the van and follow Adam in the RV.
However, Howie kept trying to remove the socks and lick the blood off of
his foot. He was running around the RV
with blood soaking through the socks which was also unacceptable. So the question became, do I drive the van
and leave him turning our RV into a crime scene or remain hooked, possibly
damaging the RV’s transmission and hold him still until the blood stops?
I sat and held him for a time and the
bleeding slowed. He continued to want to
lick his “major injury”, so I decided after a bit that I would remove the socks
and let him tend to his foot. I got into
the van and we started on our journey.
The party was nice with pizza and ice cream
cake and a large decorated cookie.
Jessica had the house fully decorated and her husband’s family was there
spoiling the kids with presents and attention.
We took plenty of pictures and video and enjoyed spending time with
them. We also took some time to allow
the kids to Skype with my brother’s kids in California. They had met one of the twins last Christmas
and I heard Brooklyn telling Melaine “I’ve missed you so much”. I also heard Bryant asking the kids “Do you
like us?” They were so good with the dogs and
disappointed that they couldn’t meet the cats.
“Where are those kitties? I wanna
love on those kitties.” I am telling
you, Jessica has some of the most loving kids I have ever met. Even though they had only met Adam and me
once before, they didn’t hesitate to climb up on our laps and give us plenty of
hugs.
The temperatures were going to plummet that
night with a projected low of 16 degrees so after our visit, we gassed up and headed to
a nearby school’s parking lot to rehook the van and continue south.
Hopefully we will get to spend many more
days in the future visiting with Jessica and her family. Meanwhile we stay connected through Facebook
with pictures and messages.


No comments:
Post a Comment