It’s been hard to get myself together enough to make another
post. Last Monday we had to say goodbye
to our Boxer Evander. It was so
heartbreaking. We have had him since he
was 9 weeks old. My husband had surprised
me with our first puppy, a yellow lab named Rufus only a week before
Thanksgiving one year when I came back from visiting family in Tennessee. I was having a hard time adjusting to this
little 9 week old Lab that was chewing EVERYTHING and needed pottied every
couple of hours and got into everything.
He and Rufus my labby were buddies and Evander was quite the
cuddler. You can see in this picture he
is cuddling with a puppy we had got for my mother in law and was keeping until
Christmas day. Even baby Rocky was a
cuddle buddy.

The day after Thanksgiving my husband then announced he was
now going to go his HIS puppy. I was
upset he was getting a Boxer because the only experience I had with the breed
in the past was unpleasant and I was already so overwhelmed with 1 puppy. But it
only took one look at that little boy and I was in love. Here is a picture of him along with my cat at
the time who weighed about 10 lbs. He
was only about 6.25 lbs. at this point.
He was so tiny and cried at night unless I hung my hand over the bed and
let him suck on my finger until he fell asleep.
He and Rufus my labby were buddies and Evander was quite the
cuddler. You can see in this picture he
is cuddling with a puppy we had got for my mother in law and was keeping until
Christmas day. Even baby Rocky was a
cuddle buddy.
Evander was a typical Boxer in that he loved to wiggle his butt and woo- woo sing with me. He was stubborn and playful and grumpy at times but always down to be near us. He gave me an undying love for the Boxer breed and we have rescued three additional Boxers.
Whenever I took a bath he would lay in the bathroom with me and enjoy the moist heat often with his legs up against the tub. Unfortunately he had health issues his whole 11 years having to have knee surgery before he was even 1 year old. He also had a bad heart and suffered from seizures so we were always afraid to have any operations on him due to the risk of him dying while under anesthesia.

Getting ready to leave and make this trip is exciting but there is also a damper on each moment as I know he will not be able to join us. This final picture is from our trip last March where he did get to see Georgia and Florida and enjoy the warm weather. Evander, Mommy loves you so much and will miss you. I believe some day we will all be together. My mansion in heaven will be the one with all the animal hair and I can’t wait.

No comments:
Post a Comment