At home I didn't often cook but with a limited budget and plenty of time found myself cooking multiple meals a day. My meals are simple but filling. For Thanksgiving, I found a tiny ham and made cheesy potatoes with lots of onions. We had stopped at a stand and bought locally grown vidalia onions and honey roasted pecans. I also baked 2 pumpkin pies. It's been warmer than usual and we enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner on our picnic table.
The Sunday after Thanksgiving I went to a local church. There are many in the area and I attended the closest one of my denomination. it was quite a bit larger than I was used to but they had a great music program and were friendly and welcoming. The best part was the sermon. The preacher talked about waiting for God's will instead of trying to make our own way. He spoke about Jacob and how once he finally let God in control, he got God's peace. It was so timely and I thought about my last post and how God recently had given me a similar message. I thought about whether it was in God's will for me to sing at that church or if I should continue to look for a church that "needed me more". I immediately received a message that this was a time for me to sit back, learn and refill. I know there is something in my future with singing and perhaps this time is preparation for that then. For now, I have peace and will continue to attend this church.
While exploring this area, its been such a shock to see people in shorts shopping for Christmas trees. Seeing Snowmen and Santa's outside of palm tree lined yards just seems odd. Its like the first time I chewed a root beer Jelly Belly. The flavor was familiar but the texture was odd. Presents will be minimal this Christmas but that doesn't bother me very much. Since we lost two pets on Christmas a few years apart, Christmas has never been the same. It has became a day where I feel guilty for being happy and guilty for feeling sad. Since both deaths came suddenly and unexpectedly I spend the day just waiting for something bad to happen. Decorating had became minimal so I was able to whittle my Christmas down to one tote. We have been keeping our eyes and ears open for something Christmasy to do whether it be a concert, light display, etc.
Adam found a great park nearby and we have been taking the dogs there to walk and explore. There is an area with dog obstacle course equipment. We have not yet been able to try it out as the deafies are not properly socialized. (I have come to the conclusion, I also am not properly socialized but I will save that rant for another post.) I am hoping they will become better as we stay here without the private fenced area they were accustomed to back home.
So after multiple trips into Florida and some driving around these parts, I will give you my list of things that surprise me about Floriga. Keep in mind I had only been this far South a couple of times in my life and well, from what I have seen on TV I had different expectations I guess. :)
- I didn't realize how green and foresty it would be. There are timber trucks going by all the time loaded with trees and I imagined it to be, I dunno less green.
- There are SOOO many woods and unutilized land. Who knew?
- The lack of pools! I hardly EVER see a swimming pool in someone's yard???
- The lack of diversity. While you may see some minorities, you hardly EVER see someone "foreign".
- I thought I would hear more Spanish being spoke.
- There are SO MANY CHURCHES! Not complaining just saying.
- This is their "season" so you see organized baseball games and such as it's too hot to play during the time we would normally play up north.
- While you see Christmas outside decorations, it's not nearly as prevalent at in Ohio. Also haven't seen many of the blow up types.
- The lack of motorcycles! It's so NICE here and you rarely see people riding bikes??
- Armadillos. Who knew they lived in Florida? I think armadillos, I think Texas.
CUE HAT!
No comments:
Post a Comment