Sunday, December 20, 2015

Beautiful Star of Bethlehem, Shine On....


I finally convinced Adam to check out the local mall with me the other day.  As a child of the mall era, I am SO pro-mail and anti-strip mall but that’s another post.  Anyhoo, my husband is not a big fan of crowds so we went during the week and early in the day.  It was surprisingly quiet there for being this close to Christmas but it seemed like a healthy mall full of popular small stores and nice anchors.  (And for those wondering YES there WAS a Chick-fil-A!)   It was decorated in a festive manner and while Santa must have been “out feeding his reindeer”; there was an area to meet up with the jolly old elf.  I am sure I sound like a broken record, (it’s like a MP3 kiddies but you could hold it in your hand and it got scratched very easily making it skip…skip means…ahhhh nevermind) but watching people Christmas shop wearing shorts and flip flops is just WRONG to me J  Not wrong in the “we better pray for them” wrong but just odd.  Let’s just say, it doesn’t seem like Christmas.

Now, THAT got me thinking.  I know the warm weather is throwing us off a little even those in Ohio.  I mean the lack of snow and higher than normal temperatures has an effect on how Christmas feels.  Before you remind me that I previously stated that feelings lie and you cannot trust your feelings, I have to defend the Christmas feeling for a moment.  You know the feeling.  It’s a warm, hugged, teary eyed, loved feeling that when you are a child is filled with excitement and anticipation.  As we get older, while we tend to lose that excitement about what we are getting, it transforms into an excitement about watching our kids or other children’s faces knowing how that wonder of “what could POSSIBLY be in that brightly decorated box” feels and remembering how it felt to be young again.  There something so rewarding and warming about giving someone something you know they really want.  

When I was ten, my mom had my little brother.  At about 11 years old the nieces and nephews started coming so my transformation from “HURRAY FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEE!” to “HURRAY FOR THEMMMMMMM!” was seamless.  I have opened and watched kids open presents almost every year my entire life.  This will literally be the first year I am not going to have that experience in a looooong time.  While I did get a present for my brother’s kids, he still has it so they will not receive it until after the holidays.  I also used to have a long list of expectations for myself of what Christmas was supposed to be including decorations, baking, buying and wrapping tons of presents, etc.  Most of those things are out for me this year so, regardless of the weather, Christmas will not seem “like Christmas” for me this year.

Also, almost every year, I have spent Christmas with loved ones.  Most recently, it has been Christmas Eve with my family but others with my in laws.  On Christmas, it was stay at home with Adam and the animals.  After losing 2 pets on Christmas, this also changed the holiday for us.  This season it will just be Adam and our dogs and cats.  Don’t get me wrong, I am very thankful to have a loving husband and have him here for Christmas as opposed to those who are separated from their spouses for military assignment or other reasons.  I am thankful that I have 3 wonderful, seemingly healthy dogs and 2 young, crazy snuggly-when they are not trying to kill you cats but that being said, it still will not be the same type of Christmas I am used to having. 

So my question to you is, what does it take to happen for Christmas to “feel like Christmas” for you?  Is it where you are?  Is it who you are with? Is it part of the menu?  Is it the Lights at the Zoo?  Is it the yearly football game between you and your friends? 

As stated above, for me, that “Christmas feeling” is always evolving.  The first Christmas after my dad died was the first big thing I remember happening that changed how Christmas felt.  That year my mom bought us all stockings with our names on them.  It became a tradition that we would hang our stocking by age on the stair railing.  This continued well into our adult years with spouses and grandkids stockings added until there wasn’t an inch to hold onto as you descended, which add one clumsy family and one open stair case with no usable railing and ….well you get the idea.  Then came a year when mom couldn’t find the stockings to hang.  WHAT?  NO STOCKINGS?!  HOW CAN IT BE CHRISTMAS WITHOUT THE STOCKINGS?!     


Maybe those things that make Christmas “Christmas” just depend on the traditions our families uphold.  I know this year I am really missing decorating cookies with kids.  That is something we have been doing for some time and I really enjoy.  Another thing that can really get me in the Christmas mood is singing or listening to Christmas hymns.  For many years, I either took a part in or observed other Christmas pageants or concerts.  It’s not so much hearing them on the radio as watching them sang live and singing along.  While I will not be performing anywhere this year, I was able to hear some Christmas music at church.  Even the kids sang a song, albeit Jingle Bells, which I found an odd choice for church but again, picking my battles.

So if you know my belief it’s no surprise that I consider the meaning of Christmas about the birth of Christ.  That being said, tradition also holds a large part of that “Christmas feeling.”  So again, I ask, what would it take for me to take away from you, for you to say, “it doesn’t feel like Christmas this year”?

P.S.  The stockings were located years later and distributed to the appropriate family members just in case you were worried.
 
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIjQfGFDyno    

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment