Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Who Am I?


Casting Crowns - Who Am I (With Lyrics)


Lyrics

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt?
Who am I, that the bright and morning star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?

Do you ever wonder who you are?  Do you tend to label yourself and others?  I bet you do.  More than you ever think you do.  I see many of my friends on Facebook; educated, Christian, moms, dads, etc. that play those little games.  “Who would YOU be in a reality TV show?”  The little generator then randomly (or not so if you believe Facebook is always watching) picks people from your friends’ list and assigns them personalities or whatever. “The Troublemaker”, “The Crier”, “The Drunk”, etc.   Right now I see one that is about “Who are you at your Christmas Office Party” and then they say “Suzie is the one that gets drunk and sits on the copier”, “Freddie is the one that hits on this boss”, etc.  There are a million of them.  I get that they are just for fun but I would be lying if I didn’t root to see myself come out as someone good “the one with the GREAT Holiday outfit, etc.”   I also am guilty of reading many “self -help” books and articles to help you figure out “who you are”. 

From a young age we start discovering our identities.  We are often labeled by our place in the birth order,  “Mommy’s BIG boy” or “Daddy’s baby girl”.  That is what I was called.  Daddy’s baby.  And I LOVED IT!  When he died and I was 6, I seem to lose part of my identity with him.  “Luckily…” there are plenty of other people out in the world who are more than happy to give you an identity.  In school, especially when you are young, you are often labeled by either your learning ability “NERD!” or more likely your looks.  “The hottie”, “The fatty”, etc.   Everyone in my family (ok not my older brother) but when I was young, we were larger people.  I mean no one was tiny, by any means.  We are all of decent height and made sturdy J  I had friends around my neighborhood I played with but never realized that I was “big” until a boy pointed it out in music class.  Phil something.   I mean I was 7 years old and I remember Phil was the one that labeled me big.  I even remember what dress I was wearing.  I loved that purple dress and I had on white knee socks and he was sitting next to me and said something like “look how BIG your KNEES ARE!”  “Your KNEES are as big as MY DAD’S!”  Now my Dad had died by this point but I can promise you that his knees were bigger than a 7 year olds!  Maybe his Dad was really skinny or maybe my knees were really big but point is; I let “Phil” decide I was big and that was it.  Not just BIG but “As big as his DAD,” big.  So in other words I was abnormal.  That is a bad thing to feel when you are 7.  Especially when there is no loving Father to remind you “You are Daddy’s baby”. 

Later in life, on Facebook, and even when people are being “nice” (I know, I am being very “quoty” today), they will label you.  The “Great Cook”, the “Good Mom”, the “Cool Mom”, the “Crafty or Cookie lady” or maybe the “Fix it Guy” for those males reading this. 

Why is it we search, no YEARN for an identity?  And if there is no one to give it to us, do we then label ourselves? 

It’s easy to believe these identities, that others, and even WE, give ourselves.  Point is we are almost ALWAYS wrong.  We are NOT who the Facebook generator, the name callers at school or even our best friends say we are.  God says we are something else.  Yes the bible tells us who we are in Christ.  (You may be wondering at this point how this has ANYTHING to do with us going Tiny to Floriga, but if you know me you know I often take the scenic route so just hang tight and trust!) 

The bible tells us,

I am far from oppression, and fear does not come near me (Isaiah 54:14).

I am born of God, and the evil one does not touch me (1 John 5:18).

I have the peace of God that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:7).

I have the Greater One living in me; greater is He Who is in me than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).

I have no lack for my God supplies all of my need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).

I can do all things through Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:13).

I am a joint-heir with Christ (Romans 8:17).

I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb and the word of my testimony (Revelation 12:11).

I am the light of the world (Matthew 5:14).

I am forgiven of all my sins and washed in the Blood (Ephesians 1:7).


You can read the full list at the following link: http://www.joycemeyer.org/articles/ea.aspx?article=knowing_who_i_am_in_christ.  

I have never felt “good enough”.  I am sure I am in good company in saying that.  Even if they won’t admit it, I am not sure anyone really ever feels “good enough.”  Isn’t that why we think we need big houses and nice cars and fancy designer clothes, etc.?  “Say what you will about my “Dad sized knees” I have a good job and a HOUSE!  Some people cannot afford HOUSES, and they live in APARTMENTS or shudder, even TRAILERS!”  Yes, I am sure I have had that thought in the past.  Why do we get our identity, even WORTH from what we own?  And what happens to that worth if you rid yourself of all of those things;  these same things that gave you your worth?  I am no longer the person with the good job.  Yes, I do still work remotely when needed and I am very thankful for this opportunity however, I also know that this may end at any time and then what?  I may become “the lady who works at the dollar store; the one that lives in a trailer and has no house to go back to”.  Am I ok being THAT person?  Is that my identity? 

Ok so that may be the view from those who may just meet me.  How about my friends, family and those who have spent the most time with me?  Who would THEY say I am?  My guess is depends on the day.  Again this is something I am guilty of.  If someone does something that benefits me, I am very likely to say to them “You ROCK!”  “You are the BEST!”  Do I express same these feelings after they do something that negatively impacts me?  What if they tell me that they cannot do something I have asked for their help with?  Would I respond with a “So you cannot stop and pick that up for me?  YOU ROCK!”, etc.  Doubtful.  Therefore, you cannot even trust those who love you and are closest to you to give you your identity.  The only place you can get your identity, or worth is from something bigger than you.  For me this is the bible. 

Please take this challenge for me.  For the next couple days, listen to yourself and others around you see how many times someone is “named” or labeled by another person; again, even if in a positive light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment