Thursday, September 17, 2015

The Why...




When I informed my employer that I was leaving my full time position and headed out of the northern cold winters, I was met with disbelief.  When I explained our plan to take our RV down with 4 dogs and 2 cats and no jobs, I was met with pure surprise.  The looks I received from people ranged from shock to disapproving and for a few, shared excitement.  They were the minority for sure.  Most people started with questions and disapproval almost immediately.  “How will you do this?  Where will you live?  Do you have family there?  It gets REALLY hot in the summer!”  When I explained our plan was to be back up north for the summers they only became more emotional.  I think emotional is a perfect word. 



When people hear you are going to do something outside of the norm and because "I want to” it generates strong emotions.  I am still trying to figure out why that is.  Maybe they have some of the same fears I used to needing that stability of a home and lots of things to make you feel comfortable.   The need to somehow validate dragging yourself into work day after day, year after year and spending 8 months locked up in your house to protect you from the cold weather.   Maybe they have a dream, unrealized or maybe they feel I am uninformed and foolish and wonder how I ever get my own shoes tied in the morning. 

The saddest thing I heard was when I questioned a co-worker regarding these odd, emotional reactions.  “Why are these people acting SO WEIRD?  Make them STOP!”  I stated.  She replied, “Because you are going for your dream.”  I said, “So you are saying most people NEVER go for their dreams?”  She answered loudly “NO, THAT IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED DREAMS!”  I quieted down quickly and shook my head and replied “that is the saddest thing I have ever heard.”  It was.  I am not the person that talks about “These are things, I am going to do someday” and then never does them. 

My employer is a Strength Based employer which means we all took tests to find out what our strengths are then to display our top 5 on our desk.  It really does help when we need assistance to find someone who has strengths in the area of need.  When I took the test, here were my top 5:      Communication, Activator, Connectedness, Strategic, and Positivity.  So while I have the strength of being able to convey my hopes and dreams, I also have the need to act on them and make them happen.  That need is strong and has gotten me into some hot water in the past.     The least of my strengths have to do with having patience and diligence to root through the details and make sure every T is crossed and I dotted.  When I have to work on spreadsheets or reporting (which I actually enjoy) it is hard work for me.  I have to sit still and really concentrate and staying in the moment is hard for me.  I have never been diagnosed as ADHD or anything but I honestly think I may have some type of issue.      

Another thing to know about me is that I have lost a lot of loved ones and many while they were still quite young.  It has definitely played a part in shaping who I am today.  My father died when he was 34.  I was 6.  Thank God I was blessed with a good memory or I wouldn’t have many memories of him.  My sister died at 50.  Her husband was 31 when he died and her daughter 20.  Life is short, period.  My mom will be 80 this year and she often talks about how she won’t be around much longer, etc.  Point is, we never know when our time will come.  That is one reason why you have to reach for your dreams, whatever they may be.    No one is promised a tomorrow.  No one.

2 comments: